To develop & direct the Tax function. This position is responsible for developing & directing the following activities:
lead response to tax examinations;
manage tax compliance outsourcing arrangement;
oversight of local accounting for corporate income taxes;
implementation of tax strategies & initiatives (e.g. rate/cash tax objectives);
oversight of Japanese transfer pricing projects;
evaluation of tax impacts & implementation of Japanese business development activities (e.g. licensing, divestments, M&A).
- Accountable for entire the Japanese Group’s tax function and all Japanese legal entities through group tax filing management.
- Lead major initiatives and assist in developing plans to navigate complex Japanese tax aspects of global business operations. Examples of relevant initiatives include supply chain planning, negotiating / obtaining tax incentives for new operations / sites & assessing Japanese tax impacts of international of operations (Japanese Controlled Foreign Company Rules).
- Oversee tax audit, coordinate responses information and/or data requests, and manage tax ruling applications with the audit team and NTA Japanese Competent Authority.
- Support Global Transfer Pricing Team for negotiations with the APA Team and NTA Japanese Competent Authority for the co-ordination of global transfer pricing matters.
- Advise the business (Regional Business Unit, Global Specialty Business Units, Business Functions (Global Commercial, CMSO, GMSO) as well as Business Partner Functions) on Japanese tax implications of material business decisions. Maintain relationships both within and outside of the Tax department, in order to ensure awareness across the organization of tax issues impacting the organization.
- Support structuring for major transactions such as acquisitions, mergers, partnerships, joint ventures, licensing transactions & post transaction integration, as well as business restructuring efforts lead by the Global Tax Planning Team and advise on Japanese tax aspects. Lead such
efforts (in liaison with the Global Tax Planning Team) for projects solely relating to business in Japan.
- Provide oversight of tax compliance, planning & provision, including Uncertain Tax Positions (UTP’s), research audit defense activities.
- Oversee the investigation & resolution of technical tax / accounting problems, including those connected with tax returns.
- Review working papers, schedules, reports & other correspondence, tax returns, or other items related to tax returns or to tax payments necessary to comply with tax laws, or other items related to accounting for income taxes.
- Translate technical tax matters into non-technical terms for presentation to senior management.
- Communicate / present tax aspects in a clear and effective manner across all levels of the company and support communication with senior management.
- Monitor Japanese law changes and determine the impact to the organization along with assisting government affairs group with tax lobbying efforts.
- Maintain relationships both within and outside of the tax department in order to ensure awareness across the organization of tax issues impacting the organization.
- Develop & mentor staff. Provide strategy and planning around staffing, staff development,
mentoring along with staff growth and succession planning.
- Manage, either directly or indirectly, a team of tax professionals. Ensure that the team is aligned with company values; maintain coordinated communications and efforts among global tax functions; recruit, develop, coach and retain high quality professional staff; demonstrate ownership and responsibility for talent development.
- Manage tax compliance outsourcing arrangement with professional tax service provider.
Education, Experience & Skills
- BS / BA in accounting / finance, CPA or equivalent required.
- Masters in Taxation or a Juris Doctor.
- Extensive Japanese tax experience & international work experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting, in particular accounting for income taxes (IAS12 / ASC 740).
- Experience in managing tax audit procedures & global transfer pricing matters. Strong tax research, oral & written skills in both Japanese & English language.
- Ten (plus) years’ relevant experience, including people management experience. Ideally, five years’ experience within a corporate tax environment.
- Tax Law - ability to understand complex tax concepts and be able to apply those concepts / detailed knowledge of tax law, rules and regulations / apply tax & accounting concepts to review complex corporate tax returns / analyze financial and non-financial information to identify potential tax issues / calculate and review complex book & tax differences / identify & resolve specific issues for complex corporate tax returns.
- Communication - ability to communicate ideas & data both verbally and written in a persuasive and appropriate manner in both Japanese & English language.
- Data Management & Analytical Skills - ability to utilize data collection, analysis, maintenance application & refinement methods to make and propose fact based appropriate decisions.
- Management - ability to set priorities, develop workflow processes & manage staff.
- People Development - ability to assess strengths & weaknesses of staff members and provide suggestions for improvement.
Certified Public Accountant / Zeirishi licence.
Ability to drive to or fly to various meetings / client sites - limited overnight. Some international travel may be required. Position requires a mix domestic & international travel of at least 25%.