This role will be responsible for oversight of all HR-related administrative and operational processes for the approximately 300 employees that work at this international organisation. Areas of responsibility span employee relations, recruitment support, compensation/benefits administration, labor law, visa requirements, policy and documentation management. This role is strategic in promoting a positive work culture, recognizing the uniqueness of the various employee constituent groups for an inclusive work environment in alignment with the organisation's mission. This position reports into the CFO/COO, in partnership with the Staff Council and the leadership team.
● Support the recruitment process and lead the onboarding/offboarding efforts of foreign staff members and their families in ensuring a smooth transition to their life in/out of Tokyo.
● Educate, guide, coach the leaders, faculty and staff on local practices around taxes and other labor related regulations.
● Maintain open communication with all employees; serve on, and work closely with the members of the Staff Council for insight into the needs and concerns of the faculty/staff in reviewing and assessing the policy in practice.
● Oversight of salary and benefits including payroll management; facilitate benefit administration with outside insurance companies and vendors as necessary.
● Exhibit excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to gather unrefined needs/requirements from multiple sources to formulate and deliver a policy driven solution.
● Be a model of professional standards.
Qualifications and Experience
● University degree – BA or BS required. MA or MS preferred.
● License & Certification – Related certification such as Sharoushi certification a plus.
● Work experience – At least 7 years of experience in HR, preferably in a leadership role.
● Language Requirement - Fluent English and Japanese required.
Personal and Professional Qualities
● Customer-focused – Determined to ensure that all decisions, programs, and initiatives are based in the best interests of customers. ● Reflective practitioner – Continually reflects on his or her own professional practice, modelling a willingness to accept accountability and the determination to develop, improve, and grow.
● Leader by example – Models compassion, humility, sensitivity, sincerity, determination, honesty, grit, and passion.
● Professional, diplomatic, and respectful – Able to build healthy relationships based on mutual trust and to resolve conflicts and build consensus through civil, professional discourse.
● Self-motivated and directed – Holds exceptionally high standards for him- or herself, including a willingness to seek constructive criticism and adjust his or her ways of working.
● Highly collaborative – Committed to developing highly collaborative, high-functioning teams and to sharing decision-making and distributing authority, when appropriate.
● Results-oriented – Follows through and completes assigned tasks at exceptionally high levels, often inventing novel solutions to challenging problems.
● Risk-taker – Models, inspires, and encourages risk-taking, when appropriate.
● Outstanding communication skills – Excels in communications with all stakeholders, verbally and in writing.
● Listens actively – Possesses excellent interpersonal skills, including the abilities to actively listen and skillfully facilitate productive, focused discussions.
● Culturally sensitive – Committed to respecting and celebrating Japanese culture, while simultaneously working to honor diversity, including the characteristics that make the organisation unique.
● Integrity and excellence – Engages in work with integrity and a determination to achieve excellence.