Import/Export Manager, Japan Supply Chain
Fortune 500 American Medical Devices and Laboratory equipment company is in search of their new Import Export Manager for their inbound domestic operations for Japan.
- Manage and optimize international inbound/outbound transportation flows to ensure on-time and cost effective delivery in accordance with trade regulations and corporate policies.
- Responsible for team management including hiring, training, and supervision of team members.
- Direct and manage freight forwarders and customs brokers to ensure an effective and compliant import/customs clearance process.
- Collaborate with the GTC (Global Trade Compliance) team, legal, product management, and other related parties to ensure proper trade compliance, such as HTS classification, export licensing, and reporting.
- Initiate process improvement import/export product, communication, and information flow to increase productivity, efficiency, and compliance.
- Strategic minded but does not hesitate to roll up sleeves to get the job done when required.
- Experience with change management and driving significant operational and organizational change and improvement.
- Manage and evaluate performance of service providers to ensure service level commitments are met.
- Maintain and optimize provider and process governance by reviewing and improving metrics, KPIs, and process failures.
- Drive and promote continuous improvement activities to eliminate waste and to improve costs, performance, productivity, and customer satisfaction.
- Enhance traceability and visibility of goods in movement from factory to 3PL warehouse, tracking key inbound milestones.
- Ensure proper classification of goods using proper HTS codes, COO, and ECCNs, and maintenance of parts table.
- Ensure compliance with Japanese and US laws and regulations pertaining to international trade.
- Supervise a team of 4 and strengthen the team through coaching, mentoring, training, and development.
- Ensure all process are properly documented by means of maintaining standard operation procedures related to import/export activities.
- 10 to 15+ years’ experience in Logistics, Transportation, Consulting, Import/Export, or any related fields.
- University degree in Business, Management, Supply Chain Management, Law, or other related areas of study.
- 5 to 10+ years managing and leading teams, executive level presentations, and the ability to influence at all levels (often without authority).
- High level of intensity and an inherent desire to drive improvements, take on challenges, and not afraid to challenge status quo.
- Commitment to deadlines and able to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Business level English for both speaking and writing and native level Japanese for speaking and writing.
- Experience with ERP systems such as SAP and Oracle, and experience with GTS and other Global Trade IT solutions, such as Integration Point.
- Ability to work cross functionally and independently is a plus, excellent communicator.
- Licensed customs broker preferred.
- Thorough understanding of Japanese import and exports rules, regulations, and practices.
- Working knowledge of US export and ITAR regulations, Denied Party Screening, Harmonized Codes, and ECCNs.
- Experience with formulating, developing, rolling out, and maintaining company procedures, policies, and training programs.