Job Title: Retail Director
Contract type: Permanent
Industry: Interior industry
Salary: Up to 12M JPY
- Ensure monthly / quarterly / annual owned door revenue and profit goals are met or exceeded.
- Develop long and short-term sales plans for all channels.
- Develop long term strategies for all channels including financial planning, store scrap-and-build plans and proposals of new retail formats.
- Working in conjunction with People and Performance Department (HR), hire and retain store staff.
- Ensure smooth and proper operation of all stores.
- Develop a strong partnership with franchise partners and ensure their operations are in line with the brand Japan expectations and in helping them outline overall store expansion strategies.
- Lead in finding new franchise partners.
- Maintain strong relationship with landlords.
- Working in conjunction with the New Business Development Manager, plan and open new stores including rent negotiation; partner with Finance to develop and submit financial proposals to management.
- Ensure store staff is well trained I both daily sales and in conducting the in-home Interior Decoration service.
- Working in conjunction Visual Merchandising, ensure stores are merchandised with proper furniture and accessories; ensure sufficient inventory for accessories.
- Working in conjunction with Marketing, ensure store promotions are executed.
- Report to Country Manager and Japan Leadership Team the latest store financials and other KPI's; develop and execute action plans in case of short-fall.
- Working in conjunction with Marketing, IT and Operations, develop and execute omni-channel strategies that will further develop synergies between bricks and mortar and digital commerce stores.
- Partner with head of Business and ensure B to B sales in the store (approximately 20% of total sales) are well managed.
- Report to Denmark latest performance and all activities at stores.
- As one of two Director-level positions at the company, take lead in company-wide initiatives.
Required Skills Checklist:
- Passion for retail - meeting and exceeding store revenue targets, training top-tier staff and delighting the consumers.
- Hands on and willing to get things done, whatever it takes - strong bias for action.
- Knows how to have fun.
- Outside of the box thinking - can Dream Big.
- At least 5 years of retail leadership experience, either as head of Retail department or head of division at a larger company (more than JPY 2 billion direct responsibility).
- At least 10 years of retail sales experience at a foreign-owned retail driven brand, in such industries as premium apparel and accessories (jewellery, watches, leather goods), cosmetics, interior and other lifestyle segments.
- Strong foundation of retail fundamentals including understanding and management of retail KPI's.
- Teamwork skills and ability to collaborate with other department heads
- Ability to think strategically, analytically and tactically
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both in Japanese and English (business level).
- University bachelor degree or above
- Experience in the furniture industry
- Franchise store management experience
- New business development experience (new store opening experience and contacts in the industry).