Job Description Title: Retail and Training Manager
Reports to: Retail Director, Retail Department
The mission of the Retail and Training Manager position is to develop the most results oriented, highly engaged and well-trained store and office employees who embrace high performance culture while ensuring the highest performance in store operations to ensure we meet or beat our revenue and profit goals.
The company will grow exponentially in the next 5 years, and the position will play a significant role in ensuring that our people and our stores, both new and existing, are performing at the highest level to ensure reaches the objective of becoming the #1 loved, admired and recommended retail brand.
The Retail and Training Manager will work closely with the Learning & Development team at the support office HW overseas, as well as fellow Trainers in other major markets, to enhance Company's newly conceived Academy. For the right individual this is an exciting time to be joining the international group of like-minded retail and training pros in developing and implementing a globally competitive training program.
It is also a perfect position for a retail pro with experience and passion for both people training and store operations.
They believe in developing and training people to have an immediate and lasting impact on their operations, why this role is combined with retail management responsibilities in order to ensure focus on significant, synergistic payout on our total retail operations. In relation to the above, the role will support the Retail team in two key areas:
• Learning & Development Training of store staff (50 and growing), store managers (8 and growing), franchise store managers / staff and in smaller part, other customer / client facing roles including business sales, customer service and delivery / assembly teams.
• Store operations Working closely with the Retail Director, to ensure the owned and franchise store revenue, profit and KPI goals are exceeded via most effective store operations.
• Planning and implementing the Academy programs in co-operation with the support office in global HQ according to an annual training calendar
• Development of training materials including translation supplemented by locally developed materials specific to Japan market needs, for example business sales
• Training of Store Managers, Sales Associates, Customer Service and Delivery & Assembly staff with the above materials
• Training of Store Managers and Sales Associates of our Franchise partners
• Develop and implement leadership level training (e.g., new Store Manager ramp-up program, Director level training, language training).
• Develop and monitor store level Learning and Development KPI’s
• Ad hoc training of Store Managers and Sales Associates in case of underperformance
• Ensure use of best practice and support managers in on-boarding training for new joiners including office staff and new store staff
• Update best practice and share amongst stores and with other countries
• Reviewing store and staff retail KPI’s (traffic, conversion rate, basket size) Mystery Shopper and NPS reports and develop programs to address issues – both ad hoc and mid-term
• Working closely with Retail Director, develop and manage store and sales associate budgets and update it periodically (as updated forecasts).
• Develop and follow up on store performance improvement initiatives in case of short-fall
• Ensure target setting, implementation and follow-up on campaigns and initiatives according to the retail calendar.
• Working closely with Marketing and Visuals, ensure activities are implemented and store staff have the appropriate selling tools
• Working closely with the Business Development Manager, assist in the new store openings.
• Participate and represent Japan in global, regional and in-Japan meetings and conferences. Required Skills Checklist – these are mandatory
• Passion for developing and training of people
• Strong retail and business understanding
• Proactive, hands on and willing to get things done, whatever it takes – strong bias for action
• Outside of the box thinking – can Dream Big
• Minimum of 3 years of in store staff training at a retailer, preferably at a foreign owned, lifestyle brand.
• Minimum 3 years of managing stores as Store Manager, District (Area) Manager, Retail Manager or others.
• Teamwork skills and ability to collaborate with other department heads
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both in Japanese and English (business level)
• University bachelor degree or above
• Career stability – no job hoppers, please
1. At least 3 years Store Manager experience as we need retail KPI management skill.
2. At least 2 years training initiatives or position experience.
3. Fluent English skill is mandatory as this role is core member of creating the Company training program working with global L&D team and other country’s Retail and Training Managers.