As a Controller, this role includes, but is not limited to the application of generally accepted accounting principles and the preparation of accurate financial reports and financial statements in a timely manner. The Controller will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that directly affects the company, and will provide strategic financial input to senior management. Furthermore, he or she will lead, manage, coach and develop the financial operations organization. Activities include general accounting, fixed asset management, treasury, tax planning and strategy, payroll, accounting consulting, and financial control/risk management. The position requires a strong knowledge of finance and accounting on a local and US GAAP basis. It requires excellent communication skills in both Japanese and English because he or she will be working closely with Senior Management, Headquarters, overseas affiliates, and external partners.
Lead, manage, coach and develop several teams for the following responsibilities.
- Owning process of sales, purchases, general accounting, and others.
- Preparation of accurate financial information / statements including monthly, quarterly and annual basis both on a US GAAP and Japanese GAAP basis.
- Make sure that financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures through managing Journal Vouchers, Trial Balance analysis and Account reconciliation
- Monitoring and support of taxation requirements including handling tax audit/examination
- Treasury, Tax planning and strategy
- Ensure all of financial operations are compliant with relevant laws and regulations for integrity of financial data
- Ensure compliance with financial policies and procedures e.g. purchase order creation, payment process in particular
- Maintenance of internal controls and compliance to SOX in the relevant areas
- Accounting consultation on Business Development deals
- Coordination with internal/external auditors, Headquarters, Shared Service Center (Global Business Support) and external partners
- Coaching direct reports/teams/colleagues/budget owners to achieve the area objectives through daily activities
Accounting degree or CPA preferred
10 years accounting and finance experience
Proven record in managing teams
SAP experience preferred
International experience preferred