The Managing Director, Japan directs business operations in Japan to achieve customer outcomes, profitability and business growth objectives. The role requires hands-on team leadership to grow the business with current customers and acquire new customers and projects. This position is the senior business leader and is responsible for all aspects of the business. This includes meeting with customers, developing and presenting project proposals and presentations and operational reviews with the delivery teams. A strong background covering all or some of business, training, staffing, consulting and the automotive industry is needed.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Japan Managing Director is responsible for delivering against the agreed objectives for the Japan business:
- Budget revenue
- Budget profit
- Customer satisfaction, through delivery of customer projects to required quality, timing and cost
The MD builds strong personal relationships with Senior Managers in OEM customers, in order to increase the level of strategic engagement, trouble-shoot potential problems, protect existing business and grow future business. Through Project and Account Managers, the MD ensures an account management strategy is developed and followed for each key customer.
The MD ensures that a quality operating system is developed and implemented, in order to deliver consistently high quality of project outcomes to customers and to provide ongoing professional development for trainers and consultants.
PROFILE OF COMPANY IN JAPAN
Our client has been present in Japan since 2001, and has served many automotive client during that time. With over 50 employees and a network of associates, our client is a well-known training and consulting providers in the automotive business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Direct responsibility for accomplishment of annual budget targets
- Oversees preparation of annual sales forecasts and budgets and determines markets potential
- Approves all customer proposals, including pricing, cost and resourcing
- Responsible for the achievement of all client deliverable KPI's and the implementation and maintenance of Operational Excellence across all projects and programs
- Hires, develops, coaches, provides feedback of direct reports
- Reviews performance and provides mentoring and counselling to direct reports
- Participates in industry meetings as needed
- Is the senior contact to customers and is ultimately responsible for customer relationships, retention, services and relationship management within the market.
- Interfaces with global resources from Products & Services, Business Development, and Marketing to identify and implement strategies appropriate to this market
- Performs other tasks as may be required
Reports to: Vice President - Asia Pacific (Shanghai based)
- Project Managers x5
- Business Development Director
- Administration Manager
- (Accounting outsourced to Daico)
QUALIFICATIONS and/or EQUIVALENT WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Twenty years of auto industry experience required. Either Dealer-related business functions, or in service related supplier agencies
- An understanding of vocational learning, and background in the training business is preferred
- Bi-lingual / bi-cultural
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport and strong strategic relationships with customers
- Strong network of contacts across vehicle manufacturers
- Proven ability to develop and sell strategic solutions to clients in the automotive sector
- Proven ability in strategic planning, goal setting and managing large budgets
- Significant experience in sales, project management, budgeting, quality systems, personnel management, forecasting, preparation of presentations and responding to RFQ's
- Strong business acumen / financially literate
- Strong influencing skills and customer focus
- High level of professionalism and executive presence
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written with all levels of the organization
- Proven ability to develop and coach team members using a collaborative approach
- Adaptable and flexible in approach and leadership style
- High energy, passionate and inspirational
- The ability to be self-directed
The office is based in Tokyo. Frequent travel within Japan will be required based on company and customer needs.